Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Time To Move On

My experience with making gold in the WoW Auction House over these past several months has been with the Auctioneer addon (btw...I'm not sure who decided to omit the hyphen or space, but it still bugs me that it's not "add on" or "add-on"). It's been a good ride. I've learned a lot.

But it is time to move on...to Auctioneer Advanced.

I'm the kind of person that if it ain't broke don't fix it. But the Auctioneer team has stated that the plain, vanilla version of Auctioneer is no longer going to be updated with major releases. While maintenance patches will be made available for the foreseeable future, it's only a matter of time before it goes away completely. Auctioneer Advanced (AA) will get all the lovin'.

Now I've had AA installed for a couple days. It plays nicely with the original mod so I get to dip my toes in before making the big splash in the deep end. From what I've seen the only thing I can say is "where have you been my whole (WoW) life?"

Just skimming the functionality by what I see I know I'm going to be very happy once I start using it full time. Will get some screenshots up later, but some of the things I dig are:

  • Items are color coded, along with percentages, on how well they are priced compared to market value. I'm a visual kinda guy so this makes Og very happy.
  • Competition is shown in same window as where you post your auctions. Because you should ALWAYS check the temp of the current market before setting your prices this saves me a lot of time.
  • Better, more usable stats. There are three sets of rolling averages, standard deviation, confidence and all kinds of goodies in there. These are awesome tools to even out the data and get a better picture of the market. I know there are many of you out there whose eyes will glaze over just thinking about these. Don't worry. There's a stat for everyone in here.
The biggest challenge will be figuring it all out. While I have the utmost respect for the gals and guys that put out the best addon (add-on? add on?) out there, good documentation is lacking. This means there's a lot of figuring out to do.

I'll share what I learn.

1 comment:

Sellia said...

*Eyes glazing over.*

Help ! =)

The more I read the more I like your style. Good job !